Should You Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Rochester?
In a variety of ways, smart components like surveillance systems and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to get alerts if someone comes up our front steps, and we may even have video clips delivered to us when dubious movements are found. Having components we are able to access through the internet advises us to potential hazards immediately. But there is one chief drawback. The quick access that benefits us is also cracking a door open for online invasions.
Even though you don’t have to lose sleep fretting over smart home hacking in Rochester, you should be cognizant of the potential safety issue and take steps to circumvent it.
How To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It’s amazing how the internet has influenced our daily lives as just about anything is accessible online, including your security components, smart TVs, and even your coffee maker. This also generates more pathways for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to avoid wireless home security systems or other smart components. Rather, follow these suggestions and do your part to keep prowlers off your network.
- Protect with strong passwords: This is a requirement for all accounts, including your home Wi-Fi. Use uppercase and lowercase and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Stay away from dates of birth, full words, or anything else hackers might easily guess. A password generator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password manager will aid you in keeping tabs on your various accounts and passwords.
- Avoid default settings: When setting up that new router, it’s likely to come with a standard password to get you started. Change it. Hackers will be aware of these default passwords as well. Setting up your wireless network and home router correctly from day one is critical in keeping you protected.
- Create a separate network: Why put your smart oven, your security sensors, and your work laptop on a single network? Most routers permit you to create a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and safeguard private information present on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for commercial networks. They can also be used on home network. Firewalls will watch your network’s traffic and stop suspicious activity. You can begin with a router with an incorporated firewall.
- Choose the latest encryption standards and security protocols: If you’re using a new router, you might have the chance to use WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If not, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You ought to install home security devices that feature 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Ensure software and firmware is up-to-date: Keep your operating systems up to date for all devices, and that includes your integrated camera surveillance. Many times, these updates will patch known issues and improve your security.
Beware of Lower Quality Smart Home Components In Rochester
Leading companies like ADT and Amazon have their status to maintain and will quickly make an effort to remedy a security flaw in their components. Other off-the-shelf brands may not be quite as diligent. Getting your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and additional smart devices from one reputable company like ADT makes sense. And having all of your equipment connected simultaneously will help ensure proper integration, operation, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, employs two-way encryption when interacting with your smart components.
Request Your Own Rochester Home Defense Package
Now that you have more knowledge on how to keep your home network shielded from hackers, it’s time to start on your own home defense system in Rochester. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to find the perfect package for your family. Dial (507) 218-4806 or fill out the form to upgrade your home’s protection.